Thursday, September 18, 2008

Football season!!!





Yay for football season! I am such a big fan of college football that I can hardly contain my excitement when it finally rolls around. There are so many things to like about it, but I don't know if I can list them all. My favorite thing is going to a home game at the Rose Bowl and cheering my lungs out for the Bruins. It is such an exhilaration when you're there w/50k+ people screaming for the same reason. Our first home game was against Tennessee and it was such a blast. We totally won (and then went on to lose to BYU this past weekend) and my friends and I had such a good time.

This year we have a new coach, Rick Neuheisal. So far, he's impressed me with the way that he handles himself with the team, the fans and the media. I really like the way that he gets everyone involved in the program. Earlier this year, I was able to go to a Ladies Bruin Football 101 clinic with him and our two coordinators, Dwayne Walker and Norm Chow. It really impresses me that he makes sure to reach out to everyone in the family. I'm hoping that he takes the UCLA Football program to a whole new level in the coming years.

Anyway, just a few of the things that I love about football:
  • The competitiveness of the fans - everyones KNOWS that their team is #1 ;)
  • The heart of the players - the players go out there week in and week out and give it their all for their school, family and team
  • The craziness of it - you never know who's gonna upset who this week....
  • The traditions - I love the 8 clap, the 65 year old cheerleader, the alumni band...I love it all!! It just makes me feel like home when I'm at a home game!!
  • The tailgating - there's nothing like meeting up with old friends and making new ones when you go to a home game. I've gone from going to 1 tailgate per game to like 3 or 4 now...and I seem to add 1 or 2 per year!
  • ESPN's College Pick 'em - I know I never win this, but it's still fun to try! I anticipate getting the email from JayDee every year just so I can try and beat my family!! Go Bruins!! (and Beavs when we're not playing them ;) )
I'm sure I could list so many, but I better stop now. Go Bruins!!!

No comments: